Do You Have Questions About a Worker’s Compensation Injury and Claim? Here are some Frequently Asked Questions, with our best replies – although it is best to call us now at Toll Free: 1-866-4IM-HURT

What do I do if I’m injured on the job?

You should always seek immediate medical attention for your injury. However, doing so without the prior approval and direction of your employer may result in an unpaid bill.  If there is no management employee or supervisor on your job site or a designated health care provider, seek medical care appropriate to your medical needs in a timely manner. Depending on your circumstances, appropriate health care may be obtained from your family doctor or a hospital emergency room. Tell the health care provider that you were hurt on the job and provide the basic details. Keep your bills for presentation for reimbursement.  Also, report the injury to your employer, orally and in writing, immediately if possible, and, in any event, within 3 days. Next, make sure you call us, Campbell and Associates, at 1-866-4IM-HURT and we will be there to help you through the entire process.

What if I’m worried about my employer finding out I hired an attorney?

In the worker’s compensation laws, there are provisions that prevent an employer for wrongfully terminating an employee for making a claim for worker’s compensation or hiring a lawyer.

How much do I stand to make off this worker’s compensation case?

Since all cases have a different worth and amount of compensation, factors like age, salary, educational background, occupation, level of injury, permanency of injury, and necessary medical care directly affect your compensation. The earlier you get us involved, the better we can help make sure all these factors receive experienced review and evaluation.

Will I be able to sue my employer if they are responsible for the accident?

The worker’s compensation system was developed to protect workers injured at the jobsite without taking into account whose fault the accident was. Almost all employers are mandated by law to offer worker’s compensation benefits. Worker’s compensation benefits are designed to provide some wage replacement and any required medical treatment, while granting employers immunity to lawsuits provided they offer proper compensation to their employees.

What if I quit my job while receiving workers’ compensation?

Leaving your place of employment under your own terms while receiving treatment from an approved worker’s compensation doctor could negatively impact your right to access various lost wage benefits. If that particular doctor has issued a release allowing you to return to work under certain circumstances, you should make a genuine attempt to work under those conditions. If you choose to do otherwise, the worker’s compensation insurance carrier may choose to suspend payment of lost wages. If your course of treatment with the assigned doctor is completed, you have reached MMI, and the doctor has determined your permanent impairment rating, choosing to leave your job may not impact your eligibility for impairment income benefits, which are provided by law.

What do I do next?

Call us, Campbell and Associates, at Toll Free: 1-866-4IM-HURT and we will help you through the process.